Friday, February 12, 2010

First Impressions


Are first impressions really that important? I have begun to realize that we hold so much in store, and make so many judgments about people based on the impressions we get when we first meet them. But is it really fair to characterize and label and form impressions about people that we really don’t know? It seems crazy to me that we give ourselves the right to think we know a person based on what we think when we first see them.


Personally if I were to judge people based on the first impression I got of them then most of the people who are very close to me now would not even be part of my life. It seems funny to me that the people I had a very bad first impression of became my best friends. I remember the first time I met my best friend, her hair was down to her waist and she was going on and on about how she loved Ashton Kutcher and telling me details about her life, which for some reason she felt the need to share despite my obvious lack of interest. I remember thinking that I would never be friends with her and now she is like a sister to me.


So many experiences in my life have showed me that people are not always what they seem when you first meet them. I know that this is true for me. Whenever I first meet people I am usually really shy and standoffish, but it doesn’t mean that I am really like that. I think that people should be given a fair a chance, and I think that means giving them the benefit of the doubt if they do not make a great first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment