Saturday, February 27, 2010

University of Alabama Shooting




One of the things that caught my attention recently in the news was the shooting at the University of Alabama. This matter doesn’t just affect me because I grew up in Alabama since I was three years old, and half of the people in my graduating class attend the University, it also enrages me on a completely different level. I never understood and will never understand how a seemingly normal and ordinary person, a person with a life and a family just like any other person can suddenly decide to play God and take people’s lives.

Some reports have said that the suspected shooter is actually a faculty member at the University. This fact makes this situation even more shocking and upsetting. This woman was not just an enraged person who went temporarily insane and decided to take out whatever is going on in her life on a group of strangers. She actually worked with them; maybe even saw them on a daily basis. They were colleagues. The matter just blows my mind.

I have always wondered what goes on in these people’s minds. I wonder if they can always be held responsible for their actions, if they are aware of what they are doing. It doesn’t seem that someone who can have the heart to take away someone’s life for no reason at all can be aware of their actions. Maybe it is a spur of the moment decision; maybe something angered them so much that they couldn’t control themselves. Whatever the reason may be, I think that this sort of action is inexcusable.



Some people may think that everyone deserves a second chance and that they should not always be held accountable for their actions. I respectfully disagree. The people killed at that University did not have a second chance. They came into work just like any other day and their lives were taken. Their families do not have a second chance to be with them or see them. That is neither fair nor just and I think the person responsible should not be let of easily.










No comments:

Post a Comment