Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Podcast: Whatever happened to when a BlackBerry was a fruit




Facebook, Twitter, BBM. All of these forms of communication are a part of our everyday lives now. We use them almost without thinking, and check them obsessively throughout the day. A few years back you were considered out of the loop if you didn’t have a cell phone. Now if you do not have a facebook account, you are considered behind the times.

All of these social networks and communication tools are very useful in keeping in touch and knowing what is going on in the world, but increasingly I feel like I am isolated from people because of these things. Instead of calling my friends I will BBM or chat with them. Instead of going out I just sit around on facebook all day.

There is no doubt that these social networks are important, but are they making us lose touch with the people who we are close to? Even when I am out with friends, everyone is BBMing or talking on the phone. We are out and sitting together, but we are usually not really paying much attention to each other. I do not deny the importance of being able to access information on demand, but there is a price to pay for that also.

Maybe I am overly simplistic and nostalgic of old times but I really miss when me and my friends would sit together and enjoy each other’s company, without having all the technology between us. Not only that, but I feel like my increasing dependency on communicating through technology instead of face to face, has caused me many problems with friends. A lot of times they way I say something is misinterpreted because there is no body language.

Times have obviously changed now that hanging out with friends means sitting with them but chatting with other friends on your phone or laptop. I am not immune to this fad because I myself have a BlackBerry. But I do make a point of not using it when around friends. Sometimes I miss the days when a blackberry was just a fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment